Media Advisory: Thursday, July 7, 2011
- Contact: Eva Cardenas, GLAHR, 404-455-6805
- Ben Speight, Teamsters Local 728 and Atl Jobs with Justice, 404-604-6762
- Yvonne Robinson, AFSCME, 404-862-0496
- Charlie Flemming, Atlanta/North Georgia Labor Council, 770-714-4567
- This event is on Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=199266710123965&view=wall¬if_t=event_wall
Community Rallies for Human Rights, Against HB 87
Demonstration to Demand Real Solutions to Problems, Not Attacks on Immigrants
ATLANTA – Civil rights, community, labor and immigrant advocacy organizations announced a demonstration for human dignity and immigrant rights this Saturday (July 9) from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. on the Washington Street stairs of the Georgia State Capitol.
WHO: Georgians and supporters from around the nation will attend the rally, including members of the community and activists with Atlanta Jobs with Justice; the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees; the ACLU of Georgia; the Georgia Undocumented Youth Alliance; Teamsters Local 728, and the Atlanta/North Georgia Labor Council.
WHAT: Rally with strong visuals and powerful speakers, including:
· Lee A. Saunders, International Secretary-Treasurer of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME)
· Rev. Al Sharpton, Civil Rights Activist and President of the National Action Network
· Ben Speight, Atlanta Jobs with Justice and Teamsters Local 728 organizer
· Teodoro Maus, President of the Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights (GLAHR)
· Dulce Guerrero and Nataly Ibarra, members of the Georgia Undocumented Youth Alliance (GUYA) who were arrested last week for a non-violent protest against HB 87.
· Azadeh Shahshahani, Director of the National Security/Immigrants’ Rights Project at the ACLU of Georgia
· Georgia Senator Vincent Fort
WHEN: Saturday, July 9, 2011 from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m.
WHERE: Georgia State Capitol, Washington Street stairs.